1 March 2013

Film Club Fridays:
The Breakfast Club


This week I was very fortunate to be able to watch The Breakfast Club not only for the first time, but from one of the original 35mms on the big screen. The Showroom cinema offers a special screening each week on a Tuesday night, under the title of "Cult Tuesdays". As I'm both a student, and a member, the tickets are ridiculously cheap, and the atmosphere is always brilliant as it's packed full of filmy-types.

The Breakfast Club is an 80s classic that I'd been meaning to get around to watching for years, so the opportunity to see it in its full glory was not one to be passed up. Directed by John Hughes, this "brat pack" film continues to ring true nearly three decades after its release. Celebrating youth, in all of its teen-angst-glory, the plot is simple and predictable in the most perfect way, a real feel good, high school classic. The soundtrack and wardrobe of the whole film is so brilliantly 80s too - I was instantly coveting everything that the kids were wearing (especially Bender's fingerless gloves, plaid shirt and oversized denim jacket combo).

For anybody who hasn't seen it before, here is what I believe to be an original trailer:


I completely forgot to take photos of Sophie and I enjoying ourselves, but we dressed up for the occasion and I treated us both to a glass of wine, as I'm a darling and know how to treat my woman. I have a few films on the cards for this week, if I don't totally drain my overdraft tomorrow night.

Pinch, punch, first of the month to you all.

1 comment:

  1. Love The Breakfast Club so so much, watch it at least once a month. Such a good film! Cult Tuesdays sounds great! x

    ReplyDelete